|Area||St Johann, Tyrol|
|Segment||Lifestyle, Gourmet, Activities|
|Style||Authentic Alpine lodge|
|Member of Tiroler Wirtshaus and Slow Food Tyrol|
You catch the cable car just in time for the last ride up, the sun is setting and you’re taken aback by the magnificent views – it feels like you’re floating to a magical land, far, far away. You reach the Angerer Alm and are welcomed by the hosts as if you are old friends meeting once again. You are shown your quaint room, and have a giggle as you remember the bunkbeds from your childhood and decide to stick with the bottom bunk.
Morning comes and you’re pleasantly surprised at your bunkbed experience. A delicious, fresh ‘Haferl coffee’ calls your name and you sit down to an invigorating mountain breakfast buffet. Your host, Annemarie, tells you about a lovely hike on the Kitzbüheler Horn which takes you past a tranquil waterfall. You don your hiking boots and set off to discover nature in all its beauty.
You return to the lodge, sit out on the terrace and enjoy the setting sun once more, this time with a glass of wine in hand as you wait to be spoiled with a surprise three-course meal. When your culinary experience comes to an end, you take yourself off to bed. After an adventurous day of exploring and trying new things, you decide it’s time: you opt for the top bunk.
Austria’s Most Beautiful Restaurant Garden 2016 – Falstaff Restaurant Guide
DISCOVER Angerer Alm
- A mountain breakfast with homemade delicacies
- In the summer: a hike to the Kitzbüheler Horn summit
- In the winter: hit the slopes before the lifts open
- Moments of pure indulgence on the sun terrace
- Expedition to see the marmots
- Summer fun at mountain lakes and the high ropes course
- Alpine magic by the crackling fire
- The enchantment of the Alpenglow
- Wine tasting with your hostess
- Surprise menu served to you in cosy, roofed wicker seats by the piste
The 13 rooms at the Angerer Alm can accommodate up to 30 people. The rooms are simple yet comfortable, styled with gingham bed linen and old country furniture, and some of the rooms have bunkbeds. The rooms do not have mini-bars, TVs, or en-suites, however there are glorious views from the bedroom balconies and the two shower rooms on the first floor.
The day begins with a hearty mountain breakfast for guests and early walkers! Throughout the day traditional Austrian fare is served: ‘Brettljause’ (cold cuts, cheese and garnishes), roast pork, bacon dumplings, gröstl and, of course, Kaiserschmarrn and other delicious desserts. And in the evening guests are spoiled with à la carte dishes or surprise multi-course meals.
The kitchen team of Katharina Foidl and Gerald Weiss use only fresh ingredients locally sourced from known and respected suppliers. They also aim to make and process as much as possible themselves. Meat comes from the Angerer Alm farm and game from the mountain.
During your stay you must talk to Annemarie about wine. As a certified sommelier and the President of the Austrian Sommelier Association she is privy to a lot of insider information, which she is happy to share.
- Wine – the Angerer Alm has one of the best stocked cellars in the Alps!
- Warm, homely ambience
- A hike to the summit
- Traffic-free holiday in the heart of the skiing and walking area
- Game sourced from the mountain
- Fancy a hike? Bring your hiking poles
- Going in winter? Don’t forget your skis! Luggage and sports equipment can be taken up to the Alm via the cable car
- Something to read – sit out on your balcony and enjoy the fresh mountain air with a good book
WHAT TO DO – ACTIVITIES
FIND ANGERER ALM
The Angerer Alm is located above St Johann in Tirol at an altitude of 1,300m. It is accessible on foot (about 1½ hours of gentle ascent), or with the Harschbichl cable car. In summer, overnight guests can bring their car (access by forest road). In winter, the Angerer Alm is only accessible by cable car.