|Area||Zell am See, SalzburgerLand|
|Segment||Cool culture, Family affair, Love nesters|
|Style||Historic boutique hotel/19th century Vienna coffee house with rooms|
Wake up, draw open the curtains and delight in the sight of the picturesque buildings bathed in early morning sunshine. The historic centre’s pedestrianised street is peaceful, the first shops are opening, and the whole day lies before you to fill as you please. Breakfast is the day’s first opportunity for a visit to the Café Central, opened in the hotel 120 or so years ago, and still redolent with the atmosphere of traditional Viennese coffee houses – simply irresistible!
Zell am See offers fabulous shopping, with a wide range of fashion, souvenir and – as you’d expect in a region renowned for skiing and outdoor pursuits – sports shops. Return to the Café Central for a snack before setting off along the footpath for a stroll around Lake Zell, with stunning mountains to gaze at in every direction. If you can tear yourself away from ‘standing and staring’, you should be back within three hours: just in time for traditional Kaffee und Kuchen at Café Central, with ample temptation provided by speciality coffees, cakes and typically Austrian desserts such as Topfenschmarrn. Later, take a seat in the pavement café area and watch the world go by as you sip pre-dinner drinks.
After a visit to the lakeside Casino, make your way back to the Central’s Bernstein’s Bar & Lounge where you are welcomed with a brilliant atmosphere and your nightcap of choice. Much later, return to your restful room where you might ponder the hotel’s 500-year-old history before falling into a restful sleep. Tomorrow, head for the mountains.
408km of slopes and 121 lifts in Austria’s three premium ski regions: Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn, Schmittenhöhe Zell am See, and Kitzsteinhorn Kaprun. It’s your chance to experience them all with just one ticket: the SKI ALPIN CARD. Now that the Schmittenhöhe is connected to Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn via Section I of the zellamseeXpress, you’re able to access the panoramic Schmittenhöhe ski area from the Glemm Valley. PLUS: The new K-ONNECTION takes you from the centre of Kaprun straight to the glacier ski area where there’s 100% snow guarantee!
DISCOVER CELLA CENTRAL
- Waking up to the historic heart of a picture-postcard town in the Alps
- Loving the location, and planning our day over a delicious breakfast
- A trip to the TOP OF SALZBURG viewing platform
- Hiking on the Kitzsteinhorn – there are so many routes to choose from!
- A few hours of luxury shopping in Zell am See’s lovely boutiques
- Enjoying the full 19th century Vienna experience with coffee and cake at Café Central
- A stroll along the shore of Lake Zell, watching the paddleboarders
- Pavement café pre-dinner drinks and people-watching
- Making new friends and staying up late in the hotel’s Bernstein’s Bar & Lounge
- Falling into our comfy bed, still laughing… and looking forward to tomorrow
Cella Central offers 24 rooms and a suite, varying in size from 19 to 35sqm, as well as 11 apartments in an adjacent building connected to the hotel, the largest of which can accommodate up to six guests. Furnishings are stylish, comfortable and complement the hotel’s long and interesting history.
Café Central is the epitome of 19th century Viennese coffee house elegance combined with a touch of Parisian pavement café style. Enjoy a drink and a snack – but to get the full experience, we really recommend opting for one of the speciality coffees, a slice of outrageously delicious cake – the house speciality being the Kaiserin-Sissi-Torte – or even a mountain of Topfenschmarrn!
The hotel’s atmospheric restaurant offers delectable dishes, dine here before retiring to the Bernstein Bar & Lounge with a glass of your favourite tipple.
An intimate space for relaxing with a Finnish sauna, two steam rooms, a Jacuzzi, rainforest shower, comfortable loungers and a heated bench.
Bernstein’s Bar & Lounge for cocktails, exclusive Austrian and international wines and an exquisite selection of grappas, whiskies, brandies and rums. Private events for up to 50 pax.
Austrian beers, e.g. Kellerbier, a cloudy, unpasteurised brew, served at the Café Central and at Bernstein’s Bar & Lounge, make up another of the establishment’s fortes.
The Zell am See-Kaprun region is as family-friendly as you can get, offering fun-packed programmes and facilities including winter and summer tobogganing, family fun on Lake Zell and plenty of fun slopes to keep all your little skiers happy. The Cella Central’s apartments are great for independently-minded families.
- Sightseers: So much to see in the town, around the lake and in the mountains
- Romantics: Stroll arm-in-arm through the lanes and alleys of the old town
- Wine enthusiasts: the Central’s Vinothek leaves nothing to be desired
- History buffs: Stay within 15th century walls in a town that’s redolent with history – from the Romans to medieval monks, and the Napoleonic Wars to its establishment as a tourist destination in the 19th century
- Avid skiers: Glacier skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn from October to June
- An impressive-looking book: to read while you sip your Wiener Melange at the Central’s pavement café
- Hiking boots
- An extra suitcase for your shopping
- Ski gear!
WHAT TO DO – ACTIVITIES
FIND CELLA CENTRAL
Truly ‘Central’, in the heart of Zell am See’s pedestrianised historic city centre, by the town square and just 200m from Lake Zell and the lakeside Casino, Cella Central is also only 200m from the CityXpress lower lift terminus, thereby providing access to one of Austria’s largest interconnected ski areas. It is around 1.5 hours’ drive from Salzburg or 2.5 hours’ drive from Munich – and Zell am See train station is a short walk from the hotel.