PRESS RELEASE | March 2020
SUNSHINE SKIING AT THE BEST SKI HOTELS IN THE ALPS
Whether your ski holiday checklist features perfect pools and fascinating spa treatments, or you get your thrills from foodie fun, the Niche Destinations’ collection of the best ski hotels will have you running for the hills… or rather, Alps.
SKI-IN & SPA-OUT IN THE SUN:
TOP Hotel Hochgurgl, Tyrol, Austria
What the Scheiber family doesn’t know about ski holidays isn’t worth knowing. By investing profits back into the ski area, they’ve made TOP Hotel Hochgurgl and the Obergurgl-Hochgurgl ski area a must-visit ski destination. Hiring ski gear has never been easier: order online and it’s waiting when you arrive. Ski-in ski-out: the piste’s on the doorstep. Pause for Champagne and delicacies in the Oyster Bar. Lounge in the panoramic pool and watch the ski action unfold – or take a seat on the terrace in the sunshine. It’s easy to see why TOP Hotel Hochgurgl was crowned ‘Austria’s Best Ski Hotel’ at the World Ski Awards 2019. It’s TOP-notch skiing in the sun – peak perfection.
Obergurgl-Hochgurgl at a glance
- The ‘Diamond of the Alps’ is the highest non-glacier ski area in Tyrol and snow-safe until May
- The Kirchenkarbahn II cable car, opened 2018, provides access to additional slopes and a thrilling freeride area
- Simply the TOP: Scheiber Sport ski rental, fashion stores and ski school
- High-altitude gastronomy in typically Tyrolean ski huts and the landmark TOP Mountain Star (3,080m)
- Enjoy a glass of Champagne in the exclusive Perrier-Jouët Gondola
- TOP Mountain Crosspoint motorbike museum
SPRING SKIING ON THE GLACIER:
SPA-HOTEL Jagdhof, Neustift in the Stubai Valley, Tyrol
On the Stubai Glacier carvers and freeriders can get their thrills long after other ski areas’ seasons close. The 5-star Relais & Châteaux SPA-HOTEL Jagdhof in Neustift offers laid-back luxury and a complimentary shuttle to and from the glacier. Ski to your heart’s content, then return to the Jagdhof for serious relaxation in ‘Europe’s Best Luxury Romantic Destination Spa’ (World Luxury Spa Awards 2019). The iconic 3,000sqm jSPA is made up of the SPA CHALET oasis of tranquillity, Vitality World with 20 saunas and steam baths, the jOYFUL wellbeing area for beauty and spa treatments, and a well-equipped gym. Round off the day of glacier skiing with classic Alpine fare and exquisite gourmet cuisine.
Stubai Glacier at a glance
- Austria’s largest glacier ski area: guaranteed snow until June
- 35 groomed slopes surrounded by 3,000m peaks
High-altitude skiing: reach the TOP OF TYROL viewing platform at 3,210m
- The 3S Eisgrat takes skiers from Valley to glacier in 11 minutes
- Unique in the world: the new SKI plus CITY Pass is valid for 13 ski areas around Innsbruck including the Stubai Glacier and entire Stubai Valley, as well as Innsbruck Card services, ski bus routes, leisure facilities and visitor attractions
SKI AMADÉ IN THE SUN: GROSSARLER HOF:
Small Luxury Hotel of the World, in Grossarl, SalzburgerLand
The 4-star superior GROSSARLER HOF is a snowball’s throw from the winter sports heaven of the Grossarl-Dorfgastein ski area – one of Ski amadé‘s five ski regions. Explore 73km of groomed pistes using 17 modern lifts, enjoy varied deep-snow areas, a competition-standard halfpipe and an adjacent fun park for snowboarders. After a day of sunshine skiing return to the comfort of the GROSSARLER HOF for serious relaxation. This Alpine hideaway is anything but lacklustre – a gem for foodies, spa lovers, winter sports fans and devotees of authentic fireside luxury: after a blissful session in the Erlenreich Relax & SPA, the multi-award-winning Jagastub’n restaurant awaits, with its vast selection of exquisite wines.
Grossarl-Dorfgastein at a glance
- 26km of easy slopes, 26km of medium slopes, 11km of challenging slopes (including 9km of freeride routes), 17 lifts
- Outstanding ski-touring possibilities in spring
- Access to the 760km of pistes of Ski amadé – Austria’s largest ski area: 5 regions (Grossarl, Gastein, Hochkönig, Salzburger Sportwelt and Schladming-Dachstein), 25 ski resorts, 270 lifts
- A multi-day ski pass offers access to all 760km Ski amadé pistes, and a free shuttle service between the ski areas
SKI IN THE SUN: DAS ALPENHAUS GASTEINERTAL,
Bad Hofgastein, SalzburgerLand
Schlossalmbahn Bad Hofgastein lift, a few minutes’ walk from Das Alpenhaus Gasteinertal, takes skiers to the heart of the Gastein ski area. Skiing in Gastein is as much a hit for freeriders and carvers as it is for beginners; its 200km of corduroy pistes offer something for every ability. Make the most of the many mountain huts – not for nothing is Gastein referred to as the ‘Valley of Huts’. After you’ve carved your troubles away, head back to the ski hotel and relax in the Alpen.Veda.Spa. Immerse in the thermal spring water pool, turn up the heat in the saunas, chill out in the relaxation area. Total bliss.
Gastein at a glance
- The Gastein Valley ski area is part of the Ski amadé region (Austria’s largest) comprising 760km pistes and 270 lifts – unprecedented in the Alps for its diversity and snow quantity.
- 200km of pistes and 45 lifts in Gastein Valley, with high-altitude skiing at Sportgastein
- 3 dedicated nursery/practice areas for beginners including Gasti Snowpark at Dorfgastein
- Gastein Summit Breakfast at Kreuzkogel (2,700m) every Wednesday: delectable dishes, spectacular views, a memorable experience
GLACIER SKIING IN THE SUN:
DAS ALPENHAUS KAPRUN, Zell am See-Kaprun, SalzburgerLand
The perfect combination of Alpine lifestyle, wellness, winter sports and regional cuisine awaits at Das Alpenhaus Kaprun. Its location in Kaprun’s town centre is conveniently close to the new K-onnection cable car link to the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier ski area. This stylish Alpenhaus is all about sunshine skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier. Wide open pistes, rolling powder fields and fantastic views from 3,000m mean guaranteed snow-fun in the sun until 1 June. A quaint ski hut or a modern restaurant – take your pick for a pit-stop on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier. A perfect day on the slopes is best rounded off with après ski in Zell-Kaprun style – great music, drinks and a whole lot of Alpine fun.
Zell am See at a glance
- Ski ALPIN CARD: endless skiing pleasure on 408km of pistes served by 121 lifts
- Improved connectivity between Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn, Zell am See and Saalbach via the new
K-onnection and zellamseeXpress lifts
- The extensive Zell am See-Kaprun ski areas offer 138km of pistes spread over three mountains with varied runs for every ability
- Nearby Lake Zell and the 3,000m Kitzsteinhorn form a unique combination of lake and glacier unavailable anywhere else in Europe
State-of-the-art lifts, corduroy pistes, glacier snow, sublime views: first-class spring skiing on Kitzsteinhorn until 1 June
Photo credits: TOP Hotel Hochgurgl, SPA-HOTEL Jagdhof, GROSSARLER HOF, Das Alpenhaus Gasteinertal, Das Alpenhaus Kaprun