|Property||Domaine La Butte aux Bois|
|Segment||Lifestyle, Spa, Gourmet|
|Style||French-country-house Flamant style|
|Member of Relais & Châteaux|
From the moment you arrive in Lanaken, the alluring combination of nature and wellness casts its spell over you. Surrounded by verdant woodlands, yet close to vibrant centres of cosmopolitan life, the Domaine La Butte aux Bois is a sanctuary of total luxury. The day begins with warm freshly baked breads, indulgent French cheeses and local sausage specialities. Your day will take you wherever you wish: from exploring the nearby cities to cycling through the forests, from playing a round of golf to relaxing in the Spa Retreat La Forêt.
You opt for the spa and instantly feel the pleasure of calm, pure, exquisite tranquillity. Here, nature, ultimate wellbeing and style unite. After a dip in the indoor pool, the warm, bubbling outdoor Jacuzzi invites you to relax, completely at one with nature. Experts are on hand to pamper you with exclusive La Forêt by Dr. Bullens products, specific treatment techniques and relaxing rituals. After a sensational massage, you retire to your La Forêt Experience room in a state of utter bliss to chill out and absorb the stunning views of the Hoge Kempen National Park from your floor-to-ceiling windows. Every room at Domaine La Butte aux Bois exudes elegance, luxury and utter sophistication.
When hunger strikes, dinner is served in the Michelin-starred gourmet temple, Restaurant La Source. Your tastebuds are tantalised with a mouthwatering Trio of Langoustine with Tandoori Masala (one of the chef’s signature dishes). You spend the rest of the evening sipping your favourite tipple, sharing stories and laughing with friends by the fireplace or out on the terrace surrounded by the magnificence of nature.
Best Hotel Spa in Belgium – Hospitality Awards 2015
Best Romantic Hotels (since 2015) – TripAdvisor
Top 25 Hotels in Belgium (since 2015) – TripAdvisor
Restaurant La Source
2 Michelin stars – Michelin Guide
4 toques, 17 out of 20 points – Gault&Millau
‘Most Beautiful Restaurant Terrace in Belgium’ – Gault&Millau
DISCOVER LA BUTTE AUX BOIS
- Breakfast by the open fire at Le Bistrot
- Mountain bike ride along the canals and in Belgium’s unique national park
- Shopping in Maastricht and at the luxury Maasmechelen Village designer outlet
- Lunch on ‘Belgium’s most beautiful restaurant terrace’
- An explorative stroll around the hotel’s 11-hectare park
- Relax in the new Spa Retreat La Forêt: a haven of nature and wellbeing
- Signature treatments with the hotel’s own ‘La Forêt by Dr. Bullens’ products
- A personal training session at Le Gym
- Champagne at the bar
- A Michelin-starred dinner at Restaurant La Source
The 59 rooms at Domaine La Butte aux Bois are spread across three buildings. The grand main building, Le Manoir, houses 23 Flamant-style rooms and exudes classic elegance.
La Villa is reached through the hotel’s park via a beautiful pergola. Its 16 modern rooms are as luxurious as they are contemporary, set in a tranquil location with charming views of a small forest lake. The glazed Le Passage connects Spa Retreat La Forêt’s 20 new rooms with Le Gym and the main building. The stylish La Forêt rooms are defined by a strong feeling for nature, creativity and unique design. With warm woods and soothing colours, La Forêt blends into the surrounding national park.
The hotel’s gourmet Restaurant La Source holds 1 Michelin star and 3 Gault&Millau toques (17 out of 20 points), and is one of Belgium’s 40 best restaurants. Chef Ralf Berendsen serves the finest haute cuisine creations to prove that opposites attract, and that global culinary influences can come together in perfect harmony.
Visitors to Restaurant La Source eat and drink either with a view of the partially glazed kitchen and the landscaped garden, or in the elegant salon with its open fireplace. The Restaurant La Source terrace was named Belgium’s most beautiful restaurant terrace by the Gault&Millau Guide in 2015, and in the warm summer months, this is the place to be.
Uniquely in touch with nature, Spa Retreat La Forêt adds a new dimension to wellbeing, and confirms La Butte aux Bois’ position as the region’s leading luxury hotel. Spanning 1,350sqm, the distinctive contemporary architecture of Spa Retreat La Forêt is set in a terraced garden that blends into the surrounding Hoge Kempen National Park, blurring the boundaries between interior and exterior.
1,350sqm Spa Retreat La Forêt with swimming pool, indoor & outdoor relaxation areas, Turkish bath, panoramic sauna, infrared benches, iced water area, outdoor Jacuzzi, meditation and Yoga spaces, Shiseido treatments, Spa Lounge, hotel’s own Doctor’s Brand, dermatological consultations, medical treatments, Le Gym fitness centre with personal training
‘You must try our Belgian beer it is simply excellent!’
- Anti-ageing treatments with exclusive La Forêt by Dr. Bullens products
- Chef Ralf Berendsen’s French Foie Gras with Chinese Yuzu Tangerine and Belgian Ginger Beer
- Shopping trips to Maasmechelen Village luxury designer outlet
- Enjoying a tipple on the most beautiful restaurant terrace in Belgium
- Team-building activities – nature summons the best ideas
- Weddings with a stunning natural backdrop
- Hiking through the Hoge Kempen National Park
- Fancy a hike? Bring your hiking poles
- Don’t forget your swimsuit, you need to experience the Spa Retreat La Forêt
Planning on teeing off at Maastricht International Golf Course? Remember your clubs
- Something to read – there’s not much better than relaxing on the terrace with a good book
WHAT TO DO – ACTIVITIES
FIND LA BUTTE AUX BOIS
Just 5km from Maastricht, a 25-minute drive to the German border, and 1.5 hours’ drive to Brussels.